Thursday, October 06, 2011

Runway Rundown: Spring 2012, Paris Part Un

I want to write a lengthy, eloquent, flowery review for every single show I loved at Paris Fashion Week. But realistically, I loved too many and my brain has officially turned to mush halfway through. I was able to pull together some quick blurbs about some of them, but for others I'm just posting pictures. Pretty pictures of gorgeous clothes, still absolutely satisfying. Odds are people weren't reading the text anyway.

Here's part 1, part 2 to come tomorrow—stay tuned!

Chloe

Christian Dior


Dries Van Noten
If you haven't already noticed, I'm obsessed with prints and there aren't many who do them better than Dries Van Noten. Rather than the abstracts the brand normally presents, this season the landscapes were more straight to the point, but done in muted almost grayscale tones with the occasional flash of color. It was a refreshing new look that I'm seriously digging.

Isabel Marant
The cool French girl we all love is back for another season. The expert layers, slouchy knits and delightful sporty chic contrast of textures is back again. There's no wonder fashion's most fashionable clamor for her stuff season after season.

Givenchy
At Givenchy, the prints were done away with in favor of juxtaposing textures that gave depth to otherwise basic colors. I wanted all of it, especially after seeing a photo of Carine Roitfeld wearing one of the skirts…the day after the show. Amazing! The layering was exquisite: complex, but light and sleek. I bet the pieces were even more impressive up close.

Giambattista Valli
If I could have an entire closet full of Giambattista Valli, I'd be a happy happy girl. From ready-to-wear to couture, his designs are always exquisitely constructed and absolutely luxurious. No surface is left to chance and its all executed with a precision not often seen these days. For spring, the colors were muted with a variety of exquisite textured fabrics in a series of pearlized and metallic finishes. As usual, Giambattista's expert attention to shape and contrast made each piece special, somewhat edgy, but in a high-end way.

Lanvin
Moody, edgy, sleek, streamlined, tailored perfection. 'Nuff said.

Pedro Lourenço
This wunderkind has officially made his way to the top of my faces to watch list. I adored his spring collection and its contradicting yet harmonious use of a variety of textures and innovative fabrics. Glitter skirts, metallic fabric and neoprene on slim, yet oversized and slouchy silhouettes? I'm totally there.

Stella McCartney
Loved the different prints in similar colorways contrasted together for a seamless look. I also loved the baroque accents and sheer panels creating unique paneling and silhouettes. Solid collection, as always.

Vionnet

All photos: Imaxtree

No comments:

Post a Comment