Monday, October 03, 2011

Intermission and a Confession


I'd like to take a break from my previously scheduled Paris Fashion Week rundown, because I feel like I haven't been completely honest. That and holy guacamole, PFW is beyond, and it's going to take more than one entry to adequately cover it all. But anyhoo, I digress. I'd like to share a problem that I'm sure many a young lady is suffering from as well. So here goes: My name is Sasha and I'm addicted to online shopping.

There. I've said it. Wasn't that refreshing? Now before the creditors come knocking on my door, don't worry, I'm not getting into debt over this. I'm not shopping any more than I used to, it just so happens that I now shop almost exclusively online. I can't help it, it's like a drug and I just can't fight it.

Some people get anxious at the thought of their personal information making its way into the hands of hackers, but in my case I get the shivers at the thought of going into a store. Generally, if I can buy it online—I will. Sure, I like perusing the stores every now and then, or going out to hang out with the gals. But after years of being able to comfortably shop in the comfort of my pajamas, I dread having to try on my purchases under the glare of harsh lights, I loathe dealing with sales associates and I hate not being able to find exactly what I want to purchase. It's so easy online: colors and sizes are just a click away and the selection just can't be beat.

Free shipping and free returns are the icing on the top of the online shopping cake—although occasionally a small fee is ok, especially since it's normally less than what I'd pay for parking anyway. I frequently have a rotation of goods coming in and out of my apartment. I return a lot of what I order, but I do keep things every now and then. I'll be honest. I'm a bit spoiled and know I'd be less enthused about the entire process if I didn't have a doorman to sign for my packages and send them out for me. But I do prefer trying on clothes in the comfort of my own home, with my own lights and mirrors. There are no gimmicks designed to trick me into purchasing, and I know 100% whether the skirt I bought goes with my favorite shoes.

So there's my confession. It's long enough for now. Heck, I'm going cross-eyed just reading it. Long-form writing was never my strong suit. As a bonus for making it this far, here are a few of my fave online shopping locations.

1. ASOS.com - This site is addicting. Formerly a British-only haven for celeb-inspired style, it's finally come state-side and veered into a more fashion-forward direction. Clothing quality is hit or miss, but there are definitely plenty of hits as my closet can attest. My tips for shopping this site are to save things for later as the saved cart tracks price increases and decreases, and to never buy big US brands here as they can be double what they would cost normally.

2. TheOutnet.com - I love Net-a-Porter, but I realistically shop its discount sister site The Outnet on a more frequent basis. It's a great place to pick up designer goods at a discount and occasionally find great deals on pieces you loved from past seasons, but weren't able to get the first time around.

3. Gilt.com - I love a good flash sale site and in fact have a routine of checking all of them first thing in the morning. Although I have many faves, Gilt always comes out on top of the list. Its well-curated selection and prices can't be beat!

4. Shopbop.com - I have a love-hate affair with Shopbop. I love it so much, but I hate that I can't buy up every single thing on its site. They carry pretty much all of my fave contemporary brands and consistently have a great selection of merchandise.

5. Piperlime.com - Piperlime is another fave in the same vein as Shopbop, with a great selection of brands and well-chosen pieces. Piperlime has a more extensive selection of affordable pieces to help round out your wardrobe.

1 comment:

  1. Agree on Piperlime! I love them for having free shipping and returns.

    Tina

    ReplyDelete